Senior Event Director
THE JOB / Senior Event Director
Our Events and Experiences team is looking for a Senior Event Director to lead our team's Event Programming in Midland, Michigan. Our Midland Event office runs an LPGA golf event on behalf of our client, a material science and technology leader. They view their partnership with the LPGA as a premier opportunity to promote inclusion, both on-the-course and in careers. Their aim is to explore the intersections between golf and life, specifically in the areas of careers and inclusion. This event was recognized as the first professional female sporting event in the world to gain GEO certification, advancing our client’s efforts as an industry leader in sustainability.
The role requires a highly organized, results-oriented individual who will be motivated to build on the success of one of the premier events on the LGPA Tour. You’ll play a key role leading all aspects of the operations, marketing, sales and sponsorship fulfillment that go in to professional events in Midland; The Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational (LPGA Tour) and the Dow Tennis Classic (USTA). In conjunction with the golf event, we also operate several community events including our Eat Great Culinary Brand, STEM initiates, youth programs, sustainability initiates as well as a very engaging and unique community giving program all crafted to build community and accelerate the efforts of the Great Lakes Bay Region and the client's strategy by creating a premier and outstanding LPGA Tour event that positively impacts people’s lives.
Our Owned & Operated Events Division is a dynamic group of professionals that run world class events around the country. Our model is to create and produce successful, sustainable events by merging sports, entertainment, culinary and arts with philanthropy in markets that recognize the importance of cultural enhancements in the development of the quality of life in its community.
We are passionate about our work, we have fun and we believe that every experience matters. We hope you feel the same way.
Please also know that the well-being of our employees, partners, fans and consumers are top of mind to our agency, and we are taking measures to ensure proper health and safety initiatives and protocols are in place for our events and activations.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- You have a passion for and expertise in sports, entertainment, gaming, music and/or celebrity & lifestyle culture
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or plus 7 + years relevant experience in golf/sports/event management business
- Demonstrated management experience with fulltime and event staff, managing both “up and down”
- Extensive experience of managing vendor partner relationships for a wide array of products and services
- Experience selling professional events, ability to adapt a customized sales approach while maintaining profitable margins
- Demonstrated ability to self-start and initiate work
- Agility to problem solve and work effectively under pressure while working as both part of a team as well as independently
- Superb organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task
- Experience managing and maintaining a budget
- Excellent written and verbal skills and ability to communicate clearly and professionally
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Collaborative in nature with a “no job is too small” attitude to assist with overall account team duties and additional programs as needed
- Ability and flexibility to travel and weekend/holiday work as needed approximately 35%
THE WORK YOU’LL DO
- Together with the title sponsor, corporate partners and colleagues oversee that branding and messaging are clearly communicated and incorporated throughout all facets of events and programs
- Facilitate the execution of operational plans of various ancillary events in conjunction with the LPGA Tour event and Dow Tennis Classic
- Lead the team dynamics in the Midland office
- Forecast and plan event budgets
- Pitch, close and implement comprehensive branding plans for both the event and event partners
- Lead regional and national sales efforts
- Speak at community meetings promoting the Dow GLBI and Eat Great brands throughout the region (Rotary, Town halls, Chamber)
- Proactively bring new ideas to title sponsor, event partners and community; presenting plans/materials to colleagues/ clients
- Ensure a flawless flow of show timeline, from set-up to break-down schedules for all golf and food events
- Ensure operational fulfillment of corporate partner contracts
THE BIGGER TEAM YOU’LL JOIN
Where others see complexity, we see possibility.
Octagon is the global sports, entertainment and experiential marketing arm of the Interpublic Group. But if that classification doesn’t do it for you, and it shouldn’t, let’s take it a step further.
We are what we believe. And we believe that while the world of sports and entertainment is full of opportunities and possibilities, sometimes the amount of choice can seem a little overwhelming. Even daunting.
That’s where we come into play.
At Octagon we inspire brands, talent, and our people to see the world for all its potential. We then help break down the complexity and push forward so you can make your next right move.
Octagon is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@cmgrp.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.